REFLECTOR: Deltahawk engine

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu May 5 11:11:42 CDT 2005

Welcome; Grigore;

There are a number of builders who have watched the progress of the
Deltahawk awaiting its arrival as a viable alternative.  As with any new
engine development, the delays have made its application uncertain; but it
is potentially a very attractive alternative.

My personal opinion is that 160 hp would give marginal performance for a
fixed gear airplane.  This is just base on riding in the factory 173FG that
I believe had a 200hp Lyc with Mark Machado some years (and Mark agreed some
more power would be better).  The SE FG will perform better, but if you ever
have to a long distance against a headwind, you will be disappointed.  It of
course depends on your expected use and expectations.

But then I'm way out of line anyway, putting a 265 hp rotary on a SE RG :).

Al