REFLECTOR: Roof NACA's

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Mon May 2 21:02:44 CDT 2005

Rodney,

I'm somewhat surprised you feel you had better cooling with updraft.  I
remember being told by a factory A&P that increased cooling capability
was one of the reasons they switched to NACA's and down draft cooling.

One thing to consider is if your cht probes are on the bottom side of
the cylinders(not spark plug washer type) with updraft  you will get a
lower reading than with down draft because the cool updraft wind is
blowing directly on the sensor side..  Makes it look like it was running
cooler when in fact is was running hotter.

I will have a turbo that is mounted below the engine which mandates
downdraft cooling.

Scott