REFLECTOR:Re: Electronic Ignition-Reflector Digest, Vol 11, Issue 70

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon May 2 19:49:11 CDT 2005

> [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Chuck Harbert
>
> performance. I thot about installing EFI's
> (injectors) and using a ECU (engine control unit) that would
> handle both fuel and igntion with a carb/servo and mag as
> backup, but that will need to be later. Race engines are

I looked into this as well.  I called Ellison Throttle Body to ask about
this specific arrangement.
My fuel rail pressure is 50 PSI for the benefit of atomization.  They can
make a throttle body that can take that kind of pressure, but a one-off
wasn't cheap.  I'm also turbo-normalized, and for engineering reasons, would
need a blow through setup.  That also increased the cost.  The other thing I
didn't like was the plumbing.  I don't recall specifics, but after learning
how much weight and complexity it was going to take, I opted for a battery
backed redundant system.

On the Franklin, I was able to remove the MA-5 carb, which isn't a
lightweight beast.  I removed the Tee manifold, and the cast intake
manifolds.  Replacing them with .035 321 stainless.  The throttle body I
replaced it with weighs very little.  I would guess about 1 lb.

I was able to lose weight on the induction, but I gained weight in the
turbo, intercoolers, and fiberglass.

What we need is for someone to invent a reliable throttle body injector
strictly for redundant uses.  Make it light, and mountable in any
orientation.  Do all of this at the expense of fuel atomization, or
efficiency.  It's a crutch that makes power until you can land at an
airport.  It doesn't even need to idle an engine, which is where a lot of
engineering work (and weight) goes in for a carb type system.

I would have bought one of these if someone was selling them.