REFLECTOR: egt and cht problems

Sid Knox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Sun May 1 21:58:18 CDT 2005

Dean,
You have got me to wondering if my EGT/CHT instrumentation ( Vision Micro Systems EPI 800) could be suffering from a similar ailment.  When I bought the Velocity a few years ago, on my first night flight the EPI 800 gave me a low battery alarm (and showed about 11.5 V) which certainly will get one's attention!   This was traced to an improper grounding technique at  installation such that with the position and strobe loads, the analog input to the voltmeter had an unwanted offset added to it.  I  wired the DC return as it should have been and the voltmeter problem was solved.
However, I am trying to remember, but I think my EGT and CHT probes are of the "grounded" style also and if so, my temperature readouts may have a similar error.   Maybe many of us have the same problem and don't know it.  How could I not know it?
Here is my thinking:
1)  almost all of my flying is in the daytime and thus no landing or position light load.
2)  gear pump runs for a few seconds only.  When the pump is running, I am looking at the gear lights, not the EGT/CHT numbers.
3)  when landing at night, there are too many higher priority tasks than watching EGT/CHT temps.

So, next time I go fly, I will make a point to see if my EGT/CHT readout system suffers as yours.

Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity    N199RS
Starduster  N666SK