REFLECTOR: egt and cht problems

Douglas Holub doug.holub at comcast.net
Sun May 1 16:13:28 CDT 2005

It sounds to me like a voltage drop across the main ground wire between the battery and the panel. It would be easy to check. Just measure the voltage between ground at the panel and battery ground and see how much it changes as the current load changes.  A few tenths of a volt could give you the error you are seeing. You could get that much error even if all of the connections are clean and solid, depending on the gauge of your main ground wire between the battery and panel. I don't know what's inside the JPI temperature probes, but if the voltage across the probe goes up when the temperature goes up, then the error is in the right direction. Ground at the panel will be a little higher than ground at the battery, so the JPI instrument will think there is less voltage across the probe than there actually is.  Running a seperate ground from the temperature probes to the panel ground should fix it.

Doug