REFLECTOR: Interior foam

Velocity_AZ velocity_AZ at cox.net
Tue Mar 29 08:41:33 CST 2005

Sid,

When I flew to Vegas, it was on an instrument flight plan - so it was about
235 nmi., If I remember correctly, I averaged about 135-140 kts one way
(with headwinds).  Try climbing to 11,000' with 4 on board - it's a slow
process that took time. Taxi, holding for instrument release, vectoring at
LAS, all took up some time and fuel too.  Two hours at an average burn of
10-12 gallons per hour = about 20+ gallons used. With only 30 gallons on
board, I had just about 45 minutes left (required reserve).  When I get down
to 5 gallons in each tank, my "Low Fuel" annunciator illuminates (because
that's where I set my VisionMicro to go off).  What if I wanted to take a
trip with 4 people for 3 or 3.5 hours - couldn't make it without re-fueling.
Now, if my plane was lighter - I could carry more fuel, use less runway,
etc. etc.

Kevin