REFLECTOR: Interior foam

Brett Ferrell bferrell at 123mail.net
Mon Mar 28 13:52:59 CST 2005

Ah yes, "In God we trust, all others must bring data", as the saying goes.

I believe that this is basically the stuff that the factory used to sell
(Unlimited was bought by these folks, I believe), and it's technical
documentation claims:

               UP   DOWN   HORIZONTAL
  R-value     7.85  16.39   9.91            R-value per inch    3.91
http://www.bondedlogic.com/technicallibrary.htm

>From (http://coloradoenergy.org/procorner/stuff/r-values.htm) 1/2" drywall only
has a R value of .45, and an entire wall assembly 13.73.  Blown attic
fiberglass insulation has an R value of 3.2/inch, so this stuff looks OK to me.

Bonded also gives a nice table of acoustical coefficients at different
frequencies that only served to remind me how much I disliked my acoustics
class.  But hey, it says right there "Excellent Noise Absorbtion", and they
wouldn't lie would they?  ;-D  Also has  a "Class 1" fire rating, and no I
don't know what that standard is, but I'm guessing it's less than 'burns
easily'.  So, apparently there is "some" benefit, but significance and value
are relative.

Brett