REFLECTOR: Transponder antennas

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Mar 24 13:40:20 CST 2005

This topic came up a week or so ago in a very timely manner for me; I was
just debating where and what for the transponder antenna.  Right now
planning to start flying with the King KT76A I already have, and upgrade
later to Garmin GTX-330 for traffic display.

I concluded I would use the small "monopole" antenna in the nose for a short
lead.  Aluminum ground plane was mentioned - would light gauge SS be just as
good?

I find the small monopole antennas priced over a broad range, all look and
sound the same.  Aircraft Spruce: TED - $19.95, AV-22 - $48.95, Comant
CI-101 - $63.95; and Aeroelectric - $34.50.  Oh, yeah; and Velocity store
$37.95. What's the difference?

AS also has the Advanced Aircraft Electronics L2 that advertises high gain,
and no ground plane required - mount anywhere inside composite aircraft -
for $85.95.

Shopping advice appreciated,

Al