REFLECTOR: INCIDENCE OF CONFUSION

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Tue Mar 22 23:33:42 CST 2005

Ok, my plane has a tendency to make a slight turn to the right (in other
words the left wing wants to lift a bit more).

So I checked my wing incidence and this is where it gets very confusing!

The right wing has a higher incidence than the left wing ... so
shouldn't I be seeing just the opposite when it comes to turning
tendencies?

Since the right wing has a greater incidence (pitched up a bit more) ...
isn't that the wing that should be lifting more?  Causing a slight turn
to the left?

BUT I AM SEEING EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE IN FLIGHT (turning to the right)!

What gives?

Another bit of confusion ... the right strake is also the one where fuel
drains quicker ... so I almost always have less gas in the right tank
... yet another reason the plane should be turning a bit toward the
heavy side (left).

BUT I AM SEEING EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE IN FLIGHT (turning to the right).

I have but ONE question:  WHY???????