REFLECTOR: NOSE WHEEL GOT SIDEWAYS

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Mon Mar 21 21:28:28 CST 2005

Dave Black wrote:

> John,
>
> > I think the reason for the 95% closing is because the gas spring reqires
> > extra force to retract the nose gear the last inch and the hydraulic
> > pressure isn't high enough until the mains fully retract.  The nose doors
> > are held open a bit because the nose wheel isn't all the way up.
>
> The gas spring is a reasonable explanation. But isn't it strange that the last
> 5% of gas spring travel should offer so much more resistance than the first
> 95%? And that it should be so repeatable (always 95%) from one kit to another?

I think the gas spring/lever mechanism is designed to provide more force when the gear
is near full retract.  I think once the valve is activated, this causes a momentary
drop in hydraulic pressure which is enough to interrupt the momentum of the nose gear
retracting and allows the gas spring to hang it up just before fully closed.

John