REFLECTOR: NOSE WHEEL GOT SIDEWAYS

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Mon Mar 21 15:26:12 CST 2005

Dave Black wrote:

> John,
>
> > Sorry, I wasn't clear.  My valve is located several inches from the pivot
> > point, near where the gear leg curves.  This location is much different
> > from the standard mount.
>
> Yes, it is. And it's a definite improvement over the standard location. It
> almost works. That's why you get 95% closure on the nose doors instead of the
> 5% closure the standard location provides. I experimented with that as well as
> several other locations before deciding on using a lever arm to activate the
> sequence valve.

Dave,
I think the reason for the 95% closing is because the gas spring reqires extra force
to retract the nose gear the last inch and the hydraulic pressure isn't high enough
until the mains fully retract.  The nose doors are held open a bit because the nose
wheel isn't all the way up.  This may not be the best way, but it seems acceptable.

John