REFLECTOR: NOSE WHEEL GOT SIDEWAYS

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Mon Mar 21 13:29:40 CST 2005

When I first started this thread ... I originally thought my nose gear had somehow gotten sideways and it snapped the "T" fitting on the end of the door actuator.  I later came to the conclusion through much testing that this was NOT the case.

I believe the cause of the broken "T" fitting was the nose doors "slamming" as described by Dave Black.  In fact, I totally agree with Dave's analysis of the gear retraction system and the force needed to actuate the sequencing value.  It describes perfectly the problem of "slamming doors".

I have installed a flow restrictor in the fitting at the bottom of the door actuator - which has solved the problem.  I have also found that springs which hold the doors "open" help with smoother closing.

The slamming did not appear to be a problem ... but I later found that it stressed the gear door rods and "T" fitting.

Tom
N173EX