REFLECTOR: WING INCIDENCE [heur]

Jay Yu jayyu at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 19 13:24:59 CST 2005

Hi Tom,

I had the same issue (right turn tendency) and possibly more than yours as
mine wasn't just "slight". I shimmed outer top wing bolt on the right wing
and bottom wing bolt on left wing. This tendency is pretty much gone. On
each side, the shim is 3/64" (combining a 1/32" washer and a washer made of
1/64" alumimum).

If you plan to use this approach, try to use very thin shim such as 1/64" or
1/32" to start with as it doesn't take much to correct this problem.

You may want to experiment with the shim size. To do so, you want to create
U-shaped washer out of aluminum sheet so you don't have to remove the wings
to try (but you do need to loose all wing bolts). This was what I did.

The only potential problem is that the outer eadge of the strake may not
match the wing as the wing incidence angle changed. This, of course, depends
on how much shim is needed. It didn't cause problem for me as my plane has
not been painted so I can correct the mismatch prior to painting.

Jay