REFLECTOR: HID landing lights wholesale - one time offer

Richard Riley Richard at Riley.net
Thu Mar 17 00:14:30 CST 2005

I am putting together a batch order for HID landing lights.  I can get them
wholesale if I buy several, and enough people have committed that I can do
the order.  I only intend to do this one time.  I may do it again in a few
years - but then again, I may not.

They are PAR-36 lights, which is a standard landing light
configuration.  It's a round light, 4 5/16" diameter with a parabolic
reflector. The landing light has a beam spread of 9 degrees.  The taxi
light is 10 degrees beam spread vertical, 55 degrees horizontal.  Either
one is the same price.

The bulb is a Panasonic D1S, and it uses a Panasonic ballast.  The ballast
is 3"x3"x1", and weighs a little over a half a pound.  They're both third
generation, the current commercial state of the art.  It's a 35 watt bulb,
the ballast uses about 42 watts.  The cable from the ballast to the bulb
comes with it, and is either half a meter or 1 meter long, your choice.

Because there's no filament the bulb has a very long life, in the thousands
of hours.  It's immune to vibration so you can mount it on an engine cowl
or on a landing gear without affecting the life of the bulb.  Because it
takes several seconds to warm up it can't be used in a wig-wag setup

The form of the bulb is the same as, for example, the GE 4509 that Aircraft
Spruce sells.  The connector on the back of the bulb is larger, because it
contains the igniter for the bulb, so you may have to modify your mounting
system to take that into account. You can see a picture of a very similar
light here
<http://www.aerovisions.com/pic/XV-par-kit.jpg>http://www.aerovisions.com/pic/XV-par-kit.jpg
(I'm NOT selling XeVision lights.  That's just a picture of their PAR-36.)

I'm not making any money on them.  They're $350, which just covers my cost
and shipping.

They come WITHOUT INSTRUCTIONS.  They're pretty simple - plug in the cable
to the light and the ballast, attach the ballast power leads red to 12v
positive, black to 12v negative, and they come on.  I'm not providing any
customer support - if you think you're going to need help, you should buy
from XeVision for $535, or Lo Presti for $948.  If you can't make it fit in
your airplane, you're stuck.

Let me be very clear about that.  I personally guarantee two things - that
the lights will show up at your door in about a month, and that when you
put voltage to them light will come out the clear part.  For absolutely
everything else you're on your own.  Caveat Emptor.  I'm not going to try
to sell you on this, you either want it or you don't.

These are the only models I'm doing.  I can get some other configurations
but none of them are as narrow a beam and I've never seen, touched or
played with them, so I don't know if they'll fit where you want to put them
and I can't swear to the dimensions that the factory gives me.  Please
don't ask for custom housings, discounts or different colors.  The PAR-36
landing and taxi lights are the only ones I'm offering.

For payment I'll take Paypal or checks.  If you want to use a credit card
through paypal, it will be an extra $10, because that's about what it costs
me.  I need people to pre-pay, I don't want to float $3000 on my credit
cards, and I don't want to be stuck with half a dozen HID lights bought on
spec.

That's all the information I have about them.  If you have a specific
question I'll try to answer it, but if you want more general information,
that's all I have.