REFLECTOR: Main gear toe-in, bolt head stop

Don19dw at aol.com Don19dw at aol.com
Thu Mar 17 10:16:20 CST 2005

Go to Matco Brake-Axle drawing at
http://matco.elixirlabs.com/users/matco/images/wheels33a.jpg?PHPSESSID=59a97ee
2a48b3f22f0ff20470318ac51
The axle, part #25, shows 4 holes for the 4 bolts mounting to gear leg,
however actual bolts are not shown. The brake plate, part #24, slips over axle with
the 4 noted bolt HEADS on outboard side of the brake plate. I welded the four
bolt HEAD stops to outboard face of brake plate to prevent 4 bolt HEADS from
turning.
WARNING: If brake plate has a CHAMFER around inner radius of hole that slips
over axle, MAKE SURE, chamfer is INBOARD against axle radius. IF radius of
brake plate has a sharp edge cutting into axle radius, then axle can eventually
break off. (This past possible problem may now have been corrected)
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND installing the 4 bolt head stops to your brake plates
prior to assembly. You can now tighten or loosen 4 axle mount bolts WITHOUT
removing tire or wheel.
Don White   N19DW   XL/RG