REFLECTOR: Catto Prop Pitch

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 17 06:43:19 CST 2005

Hi Larry,

I started off with a 66" x 72" Catto on my 173 Elite RG with Lycoming IO
360, 200 HP.  It was a bit too long legged, static RPM was less than 2200
rpm and maximum with wide open throttle was 2550.  Take off and climb were
anemic.  I sent the prop back to Craig and he repitched it to 70" and it
felt like I was starting off in "2nd" gear versus "high" gear.  (With an
M/T, you can start off in "1st" gear).

My static RPM is now 2400 rpm and WOT is something over 2700 rpm.  The
interesting part is that the top speed is pretty much the same at 168 knots
vs. 165 knots - just more rpms and HP.

By the way, some body on the reflector said you need to start off with more
pitch than needed - then Craig can repitch lower - repitching to a higher
pitch is more difficult.  Just collect data and Craig can repitch to meet
your specific requirements.

Craig uses USPS (you ought to see the stares in the post office when you
pick it up!!!) with coast to coast shipping costing less than $50 and since
this goes Priority mail, only takes three days!  Total turn around was three
weeks.

Ronnie