REFLECTOR: MT Prop

Andy Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 16 13:24:55 CST 2005

Hi Chris,

Yes, I believe I have the rest of the story.  I should have qualified that
it was for the Lycoming/Continental engines that it should not be used for.

The blades are too light and the power pulses create shearing moments at the
base of the blades that the prop just doesn't handle well.  Not enough mass
in the blades to smooth things out.  I spoke with Ivo about it and his words
were "you can just see the blades being tortured."

He said the prop can handle the power if it is applied smoothly.  My
understanding is that a rotary might be a very good fit for the prop.

I appreciate the qualification.  I thought Ivo was a decent guy and he knew
his strengths and weaknesses very well.  He was also very open in discussing
them.  I think he makes a good product; just not one that I will be able to
use for my aircraft.

Best regards,

Andy