REFLECTOR: Main gear toe-in

Don19dw at aol.com Don19dw at aol.com
Tue Mar 15 20:51:44 CST 2005

My solutions: for Matco Axles and Brakes
1) For each of 4 stub axle bolts, I welded a stop, made from 1/2 of a nut, to
axle plate next bolt HEAD, that stops bolt from turning. NOW you can tighten
or loosen each of 4 bolts WITHOUT removing the wheel or tire.
2) Since I did not have a laser pointer, I used my 2 aluminum  "H" channels
used for wings assembly, as straight edges. With plane up on jacks and level,
support channel just behind tire, just in front of tire and near nose of plane,
opposite plum bob, so channel is level and just touches front and rear of
tire 1/2 way between top and bottom (level with end of axle). Measure  distance,
just in front of tires, between the 2 channels and divide by 2. Use that
result, minus 1 inch, to measure from plum bob at nose over to each channel.
3) You can now adjust toe in and tow out, small amounts, by tightening 2
forward or 2 aft bolts in axle stub. If more adjustment is required, you may need
to add  a tapered aluminum or fiberglass shim between gear leg and axle.

Once bolt head stops are installed, you should be able to do all tow in- tow
out adjustments without having to remove tires or wheels.
Don White   N19DW  XL/RG