REFLECTOR: Transponder Signal Strength Anomaly - Recommendationsfor Replacement

John Tvedte JohnT at comp-sol.com
Tue Mar 15 08:19:26 CST 2005

>Certainly, but be sure to install a ground plane. Ground plane for a
>transponder antenna is only 9" diameter or so, so it's not too big a deal to
>find a place for it.

This will work, but is not optimal.

>> I was planning to locate the AV-22 somewhere along the bottom of the
>> fuselage, perhaps between the nose-wheel strut and speedbrake. Is this
>> satisfactory?

>It should be an excellent location. Cable length is critical for the
>transponder, so you can't go very far from the panel. That's why the strake
>end transponder antennas don't work well.

This is why cable attenuation is critical - IF someone wants to place the antenna in the strake area.  If Gary uses his existing antenna, IMHO I think it will continue to be shadowed - by firewall/engine - if placed in the factory suggested area.  If he uses a lower loss coax - he can place the antenna in the wing strake.  (Downside - heavier coax.)

Dave Black
Shortwing RG