REFLECTOR: Slip String (or Aileron Trim)

AnnSam annsam1 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 11 13:51:00 CST 2005

Me too, works for me.

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Ron Brown
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 5:43 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Slip String (or Aileron Trim)

While I have my plane apart, I took a look at my aileron trim (slip string):

I have 2 1/2 wraps on the spool, I sprayed it with belt dressing from the
auto parts store back when I built the plane, and the springs are slightly
stretched when in the center position (perhaps 1/4 to 1/2" from the relaxed
position).

When I take the ailerons to full left or full right, the string might slip
about a 1/4 inch, most of the time it doesn't move at all.  If I don't take
it all the way to the stops, the string doesn't slip at all.  As far as I'm
concerned, the factory stock set up works fine.  I do use it from time to
time depending on if I have a copilot, or just a tweak to pick up a heavy
wing.  It certainly works well enough that it is useful, cheap, and since it
isn't needed often (not like the very important pitch trim), I'm happy.

Ronnie