REFLECTOR: Re: Falling objects through the prop (Was NOSE WHEELGOTSIDEWA...

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Fri Mar 11 09:56:45 CST 2005

TEC,

I was relieved to hear that the prop blades only represent 5% of the prop scribed area.  While having some doubts about this, and not being able to mathematically get my arms around it, I thought this afternoon I'd do a little empirical testing this afternoon.  While flying, I'll crack open my door a little and drop 20 screws, 1 every 10 seconds. With 5% surface area, I imagine the prop will only hit one of them.  You can read the results of my testing on this website:  http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/Month.asp

Chuck

P.S.  However, if testing is less then successful, as an alternative, we want to think of it as the same as telling the golfer that the tree is no problem, because it is 90% air.  If that was true, then 90% of the time, you should be able to hit a golf ball through a tree and not touch anything.  Not likely!   I'm not sure I can explain the physics and mathematics of the problem, but because of the high speed rotation of the strainer, the 'apparent' surface area of the prop for an item passing through it may well be 100%.

Do Not Archive