REFLECTOR: RE: NOSE GEAR DID NOT GET SIDEWAYS

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Mar 10 23:21:54 CST 2005

BUT ... when I lower the gear, the gear comes down and the
nose-gear-door-actuator doesn't pop out to open the doors until after all
the gear is down and locked?????

How did that nose-gear-door-actuator get out of sequence only in the "gear
down" cycle.

Before you say "It's the sequencing valve" ... consider this:  The set screw
fully engages and releases the sequencing valve properly.  When the gear
comes up it compresses it to pull up the nose-gear-door-actuator.  When the
gear drops it fully releases the sequencing valve ... but when the valve is
released it has no effect on the nose-gear-door-actuator ... until the gear
is down and locked.

I am sure this is what broke my rod end.  The nose gear started to come down
and the doors were still being held closed.

When the gear is going down, there is no pressure to move the gear door
cylinder until the gear gets to the end of the stroke; but the pressure
holding the cylinder up is released.  The nose gear doors are opened by the
two springs that connect to the ends of the T. (See fig. 7.1, page 7.35 of
the on-line manual.)  Even if the springs don't do the job, the gear can
push open the doors without breaking anything because there is no pressure
holding them closed.

So the sequence valve really has nothing to do with the gear, or doors,
going down.

I know this doesn't help explain why the thing broke, but . . .

Al