REFLECTOR: NOSE GEAR DID NOT GET SIDEWAYS

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Thu Mar 10 22:35:05 CST 2005

After that incident I described earlier ... I did a gear retraction test
(without the nose gear doors attached to the actuator).

What I found is puzzling:  Somehow, my nose-gear-door-actuator got "out
of sequence".

When I raise the gear, everything works normally - the main gear goes
up, then the nose gear, then the

nose-gear-door-actuator engages to pulls the doors closed.

BUT ... when I lower the gear, the gear comes down and the
nose-gear-door-actuator doesn't pop out to open the doors until after
all the gear is down and locked?????

I have talked to some Velocity experts who have theories ... but I
thought I'd toss it up here for ideas.

How did that nose-gear-door-actuator get out of sequence only in the
"gear down" cycle.

Before you say "It's the sequencing valve" ... consider this:  The set
screw fully engages and releases the sequencing valve properly.  When
the gear comes up it compresses it to pull up the
nose-gear-door-actuator.  When the gear drops it fully releases the
sequencing valve ... but when the valve is released it has no effect on
the nose-gear-door-actuator ... until the gear is down and locked.

I am sure this is what broke my rod end.  The nose gear started to come
down and the doors were still being held closed.

Any thoughts?

Tom

N173EX

16 hours of flight ... and 32 hours of work.