REFLECTOR: Re: Falling objects through the prop (Was NOSE WHEEL GOTSIDEWAYS)

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Thu Mar 10 22:09:15 CST 2005

Except ... it didn't.

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of KeithHallsten
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 6:48 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Re: Falling objects through the prop (Was NOSE WHEEL
GOTSIDEWAYS)

Al,

I follow you up through the point where you say the object will only
fall 85 msec before the prop comes by.  However, as I recall the
position formula is:

   X = X(init) + V(init)*T + 1/2 A*T*T.   If we use the initial
elevation of the object as our datum, X(init) = 0, and if the initial
downward velocity, V(init), is also zero.  If we further assume that the
only acceleration acting on the object is gravity (32.2 ft/sec^2), then

  Distance Fallen = 1/2 * (32.2 ft/sec^2) * (0.085 sec) * (0.085 sec) =
0.117 ft  = 1.40 inch.

So does your prop arc extend lower than 1.4 inches below the level of
your nose gear door?  Sure!

However, we have neglected the fact that any object that falls off the
plane is initially at the speed of the plane, not at rest, and it is
slowed by air friction, so it is decelerating horizontally while is is
accelerating vertically downward.  If we know the drag coefficient of
the object that's falling, we could calculate that deceleration due to
the relative wind, but that will be left as an exercise for the reader!
Suffice it to say that the object will actually fall significantly
longer that 85 msec, and will therefore fall farther.  If the prop arc
extends, say, 16 inches below the belly of the plane, we would need to
have approximately 1.0 second of fall to clear the prop arc.  Is this
likely?  Probably not.

I think the conclusion is that anything that falls off the fuselage,
even from the nose, is pretty likely to pass through the prop arc.

Keith