REFLECTOR: Compass Calibration

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Wed Mar 2 10:13:49 CST 2005

Ron;

One solution is to replace it with an electronic compass with remote mounted
magnetometer.  I’m going to try the Stratomaster MAG-1.
http://www.sportflyingshop.com/Instr/Stratomaster/SmartSingles/smartsingles.
html

They have 2 ¼” and 3 ½” versions

Al

Subject: REFLECTOR: Compass Calibration

I have a vertical card compass mounted in my instrument panel that has an
error that I have not been able to calibrate out:

At North, It indicates 15 degrees

At South, it indicates 165 degrees

At east and west it is dead on.

If I adjust the error out at north - make it read 0, then it reads 150 when
pointed south or vise versa - if I calibrate the error out at south - make
it read 180, then it reads 30 degrees when pointed north.

I understand that a small magnet(s) can be mounted near the compass to help
take these errors out.  I have tried this I am not having much luck in
removing these errors.

Any one have any experience in correcting these errors?

THANKS

Ronnie