REFLECTOR: Re: Props

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Mon Jun 27 16:50:27 CDT 2005

Jim, I've got a similar setup (200 hp IO-360 in Std RG) and I'm also
overproped (2200 static), but I'm doing over 180 kts @2700 rpm using a Catto
prop. I have a turbo system ready to install which will bring up the static
to 2,400 rpm and I'm expecting higher speeds at higher altitudes at below
normalized MP which is what Catto designed my prop for. My t/o roll is a bit
longer, but still less than 2,000'.

I think the combination of FG (w/o wheel pants) and the 173 wings can
significantlty reduce the top speed. I definitely would not switch to a
Mazda rotary (I switched from a rotary) as it will take a long time to
install, and will not produce the power, fuel burn, or reliability you're
looking for. If you want higher speeds, the only realistic way is to
turbocharge and take advantage of the reduced drag (thin air) at higher
altitudes. This assumes you've done everything aerodynamically possible.

If you're only getting 2,550 max rpm, you're losing 20 hp compared to 2,700,
and probably 5-7kts. Catto told me he can modify the prop to get higher
cruise rpms, plus you'll pick up some static rpm and better t/o performance.

Good luck.

Chuck H