REFLECTOR: Elevator Confession-Question

lawrence epstein ljepstein at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 25 16:59:31 CDT 2005

Well I can (almost) follow directions.  For fabricating the elevators, the
Manual says "using a flat surface such as a hollow core door, blah, blah
blah......." I did exactly that, but it turns out my door has been on those
saw horses too long and has a sag in the middle, as do my elevators.

I have tried heating them & using clamps/weights etc. Better but far from
straight. I started to fill the middle on 1 side & ends on other side (Using
"Superfill" for weight control) but still have much to do, as much as 1/4
inch in some places

So I am looking for opinions.

Here are my thoughts:

If I fill out to straight on both sides, I will have a thicker Elevator &
heavier. The superfill is light, but not that light.

or, I can leave them slightly "scalloped'. Unfortunately I fabricated
opposite sides @ the same time so they are "scalloped" in opposite
directions. Besides, even if it wasn't a performance issue, I think it would
drive me nuts to know it was there.

Lastly, I could call the factory, get new foam cores & some more glass
(should be able to re-use the tubing) and start from scratch.  (I also have
some left over Carbon fiber BID which I could use in 1 layer, any thoughts
on that?)

Well, I am leaning toward scarap & re-start, but I am hoping that I can be
convinced that the weight/shape change with filler are non-factors.

What do you all think?

Larry Epstein
173 FGE