REFLECTOR: Air pressure question...

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Thu Jun 23 15:42:02 CDT 2005

Hiroo Umeno wrote:

>There are some great information that is coming out of this discussion.
>
>I am clear on the concept that temperature, DA, humidity, etc, all have
>impact on the pressure exerted on the pitot-static system.  However,
>what I am not too clear on is that how that is reflected on the
>instruments.
>
>As far as I know, the instruments (altimeter and ASI) are mechanical
>device that only show the mechanical force acting on them.  Meaning the
>end results of all the stuff that adds up.  So...
>
>The altimeter will always show the same altitude setting for the same
>pressure measured, assuming the setting is the same.  In other words, if
>the setting is 29.92, if the measured pressure is 25.84, it will show
>4000ft regardless of "actual" altitude is.

Exactly.  Which is why they call it Pressure Altitude.

>Similarly, the ASI simply takes the mechanical differences between pitot
>and static pressures and translate that into airspeed regardless of the
>altitude.  So, using the previously discussed example, if the pressure
>differential is 1.45psi, it will indicate 250KIAS regardless of the
>altitude, humidity, etc.  Of course, at higher altitude, the air is less
>dense so it takes higher airspeed to actually create the same amount of
>pressure differential.  So while indicating 250KIAS, the TRUE airspeed
>is higher at FL200 than it is at 0MSL.

That's true.

>Did I get it right?  Yes.
>
>So, if the above is correct, in order to calibrate the electronic
>pressure sensor to mimic what the mechanical gauges do, all you really
>need is a fairly linear formula for both.

You probably don't want that.  Both "electronic" and "mechanical" start
with some sort of mechanical transducer.  Granted, the conventional
Altimeter / ASI is totally mechanical, with all of the attendant
inaccuracies, is the "blunt instrument" of the transducers, but it all
pretty much starts with something (however tiny) moving.  Calibrated
Airspeed is not bandied about much any more, probably because ASIs have
become accurate enough to where we can largely ignore calibration
errors.  I suspect that even the "solid state" transducers used on
encoders and air data sensors may have calibration tables (perhaps built
in).  In any event, flight data displays will correct electronically for
altimeter setting that you input (just like ATC).