REFLECTOR: Air pressure question...

Hiroo Umeno humeno at microsoft.com
Thu Jun 23 10:59:21 CDT 2005

There are some great information that is coming out of this discussion.

I am clear on the concept that temperature, DA, humidity, etc, all have
impact on the pressure exerted on the pitot-static system.  However,
what I am not too clear on is that how that is reflected on the
instruments.

As far as I know, the instruments (altimeter and ASI) are mechanical
device that only show the mechanical force acting on them.  Meaning the
end results of all the stuff that adds up.  So...

The altimeter will always show the same altitude setting for the same
pressure measured, assuming the setting is the same.  In other words, if
the setting is 29.92, if the measured pressure is 25.84, it will show
4000ft regardless of "actual" altitude is.

Similarly, the ASI simply takes the mechanical differences between pitot
and static pressures and translate that into airspeed regardless of the
altitude.  So, using the previously discussed example, if the pressure
differential is 1.45psi, it will indicate 250KIAS regardless of the
altitude, humidity, etc.  Of course, at higher altitude, the air is less
dense so it takes higher airspeed to actually create the same amount of
pressure differential.  So while indicating 250KIAS, the TRUE airspeed
is higher at FL200 than it is at 0MSL.

Did I get it right?

So, if the above is correct, in order to calibrate the electronic
pressure sensor to mimic what the mechanical gauges do, all you really
need is a fairly linear formula for both.

Did I turn the wrong way somewhere?

Hiroo