REFLECTOR: Sparrow Strain; a.k.a., aerodynamic trim

Andrew Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 22 10:07:17 CDT 2005

Funny, I was just looking up the same thing in the manual last night.

I found it in the fairings section (current chapter 11).  In the section on canard tips.

11.3.2 - Counterweight Fairings

The purpose of these fairings is to prevent ice buildup on the counterweights.

The fairings do not cover the counterweights, they are placed just in front of them. Position

them back just far enough to clear the counterweight as it swings through its motion.

Attach them to the bottom of the canard with silicone after painting the airplane. See

Figure 11-19.

Pat Shea <xl340hp at yahoo.com> wrote:
Al,

You are correct, the fairings are glassed on in front
of the counterweights so they just clear. They shield
the counterweights from potential ice buildup - a
little bit of which could cause some big problems in
that area.

Pat

Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery