REFLECTOR: Transponder Location and Ground Plane

Richard Riley richard at riley.net
Wed Jun 22 01:28:39 CDT 2005

At 10:17 PM 6/21/05, you wrote:
>The ground plane radius must be at least as big as the length of the antenna.
>Ideal material would be solid aluminum, but as mentioned above carbon fiber
>should do fine.

Actually, what you want is a ground plane that's 1/4 wave.  Easy to get if
you do a square, much harder to do in a circle.

I've now done several experiments using carbon as a transponder ground
plane.  The results varied widely.  Stick with Al.

Here's a thread that talks about ideal txp ground plane shapes.

http://tinyurl.com/77me2