REFLECTOR: Sparrow Strain; a.k.a., aerodynamic trim

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 21 20:59:21 CDT 2005

Al,

The side brackets come pre-drawn on a thin piece of
fiberglass stock from factory. The negative angle of
attack angle is determined by the shape of the side
brackets and is not in the manual. I'd guess it's
about -15* from the elevator cord.

The sparrow stainer is always trying to pull the
elevator trailing edge down, so it only works as an
aerodynamic trim at lower air speeds. At cruise speeds
it works against you (well, actually the pitch trim
spring) since you actually need to force the elevator
trailing edge up to maintain level flight in cruise.
By increasing the force required, the strainer ends up
further loading the pitch trim spring making the
control stick less pitch sensitive at cruise speeds.

Pat