REFLECTOR: Transponder Location and Ground Plane

Bob Jackson bobj at computer.org
Tue Jun 21 20:23:18 CDT 2005

We want to fly our Velocity in the flight levels and will need better than
normal transponder operation and range up there.  Is there a consensus on
the best place to put the transponder antenna, and also whether or not it's
better to use a blade that's outside the hull, or if the internal one
suffers no lose?  We have a lot of carbon fiber in various places around our
hull and are a little concerned about masking the transponder antenna, and
are therefore thinking it may be best to use a protruding external blade
antenna.

For those using the internal antenna, are you mounting it oriented down with
some kind of arrangement so that there's a ground plane above it?  How big
of a ground plane are you using?  Where are you putting it?

Sorry if I'm covering old ground,
Thanks for the help,
Bob Jackson