REFLECTOR: Suprise in my duct

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 20 17:53:55 CDT 2005

I didn't mean to make that sound so simple. I made
inspection covers on top of the ducts above where the
holes were needed. As you said, I didn't want to
inadvertently drill a oil line or wire. In the end,
not a big deal. The other holes were straight forward.

Opinions are mixed on whether or not to seal the
ducts. I *think* Brendan once indicated he liked them
open since he could smell if something was burning in
the engine compartment (since the cowling is
pressurized, air flows from rear to front in the
ducts). Right now mine are open at both ends. Most
people who have sealed  the rear duct opening have
needed to vent the ducts to prevent either high oil
temps and/or the ducts themselves from getting to
warm. I'm leaning towards sealing both ends of mine
and then creating inlets and outlets so air will flow
thru them.

Pat

> I’m thinking this is not just a simple matter of
> drilling all these holes, and then filling and
> drilling in smaller holes, in ducts that already
have > lots of wires and tubes in them. This is
delicate