REFLECTOR: Bus, Battery & Electrical Instrumentation

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Sun Jun 19 16:14:54 CDT 2005

In an average alternator (like the one in my Cherokee 235), the buss voltage will drop to 12.7-13.2 if you lose a diode pack. It can go lower once you start drawing extra current (like landing lights, pitot etc.)
One good thing about having an Ammeter is that it will show you right away what is going on with the alternator.

While I do agree that a Voltmeter will show you what is going on (eventually, after things balance out), an Ammeter gives you some extra info. In an velocity like mine (all electric, electric fuel pumps and ignition/No manual backups) the little extra information could come in handy.

I have my Rocky Mountain Monitor Volts input hooked to one battery system. The ammeter is before the charging splitter. I have a backup Volts guage that tells me what is going on in the other battery. This way I can monitor all of the systems at a glance (regardless of which battery is online). I also did this kind of backup with Coolant temp, Oil Pressure and Oil Temp guages.

In a velocity with a "normal" engine, an Ammeter is probably not needed. In an application like mine, I think the extra info can be very handy.

Kurt Winker
173 FGE Aluminum 4.3L V-6