REFLECTOR: Leveling the plane

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Fri Jun 17 00:38:20 CDT 2005

Scott,
My airplane is not nearly as fast as yours.  My takeoffs get dicey at
around 3500' - 4000' DA.  Part of that is on me (overpropped 200 rpm,
obese ~ 100# over my "fightin' weight").  As it stands, my plane won't
do a yard over 150 kias, but some of that's due to prop and no pants.  I
get conservative on high DA days and go to 80 - 85 kias since excessive
elevator deflection produces hideous induced drag and can put the canard
on the back side of the power curve and kind of trap me in ground
effect.  So I'm whining some myself, but I don't think a reliable,
convenient FRP reference is too much to ask.
But maybe I'm asking too much in that regard? ... Jim S.