REFLECTOR: Bus, Battery & Back Order

Keith Hallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Wed Jun 15 22:43:03 CDT 2005

Terry,

That low-voltage warning light is the key item of electrical system
instrumentation.  I have decided against an ammeter - I don't think it tells
me anything I need to know in flight.  I'm using a little SD-8 backup
alternator on the vacuum pump pad, so my "main alternator out" drill will be
to turn on the SD-8 and shed load until the low volts light goes out.  At
that point I know that I'm not draining the battery, so it will be available
for the approach and landing phase.  A voltmeter and ammeter may be of some
use in troubleshooting on the ground, but I have no intention of
troubleshooting in flight.

We have plenty of panel real estate in the XL, so I don't see any problem
with 3.125" backup gauges.  My panel layout shows a lot of blank panel!

Keith