REFLECTOR: Steiner Velocity - Engine Out

Velocity_AZ velocity_AZ at cox.net
Tue Jun 14 18:58:43 CDT 2005

Okay, here's a new twist to the possible cause of my engine failure. I was
so willing to accept a broken fitting because that was the only visable sign
in the engine.  Sure, broken fitting, let's jump on this and ride it home,
huh?

However, let's say that mechanical fuel pump went out - diaphram broke -
that's why I smelled fuel.  Engine stopped.

The fitting did not break until I had that rough roll-out in the wash.  The
engine was moving so much that the servo fitting (which is quite close to
the firewall) could have easily been snapped off then (but wasn't the cause
of the engine out).

Recently I received a Mandatory Service Bulletin for replacing mechanical
fuel pumps with my model number.  However, the builletin only referred to a
particular date code which I did not have so it was suppose to be a
non-issue.  Hmmm?  Wonder if other date codes will be forthcoming....

I will be replacing the servo fitting with a new one and testing the engine
to see if their is a leak from the mechanical fuel pump or elsewhere.  Stay
tuned.

Regards,

Kevin