REFLECTOR: excessive oil overboard

RICHARD J VANDERSTEEN rvandersteen at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 13 00:55:16 CDT 2005

--- Joel Smith <joels at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> What is excessive?
>
> How do you operate your normalized 550? I am not to
> familiar with the
> normalized 550.
>
> I have  a TIO-520R. I think it has excessive oil
> overboard, but to give
> you an idea, I occassionly have to add a quart in
> 25-30 hrs, then I
> change it. I have met folks that think this is good.
> It holds 10 qts, I
> fill it to 8 qts and add one if it goes to 7. If I
> fill to 10 qts, it
> seems to blow it overboard quickly. I am able to
> maintain good CHTs so I
> am not to worried about my reserve oil cooling
> capacity. My oil temp
> stays in check. I would not recommend less than the
> specified amount of
> oil if the temps are high.
>
> My operation is as follows:
> Take-off, 2700 rpm, manifold pressure 36.5", fuel
> flow 195-220 pounds
> per hour
> Climb (100%), 2500 rpm, manifold pressure 30", fuel
> flow 120 pph
> Cruise, 2300 rpm, mp 30", ff  82-85 pph
>
> I realize that normalized that your mp will not
> exceed 30", 2500/30 is
> 100% for my engine.
>
> These are some data points that may or may not help.
> The 550 may be
> totally different...
>
> Joel
>
> RICHARD J VANDERSTEEN wrote:
>
> >Any body have any idea about excessive oil
> overboard
> >crankcase vent?
> >
> >Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >Check old archives:

> Check old archives:

Full power 2700RPM 29"MP 28GPH, cruse 2450RPM 25.5MP
14.2GPH.  The IO550N has only 8 qt pan so I have been
flying it between 8 and 7, 6.5 min.  Thinking about
air oil separator.  Does anybody have Tony Bingelis's
design?  I will lose 1 qt in 2 hour flight and have
not tested whether it would slow down at that point.