REFLECTOR: excessive oil overboard

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sun Jun 12 08:40:30 CDT 2005

I guess first we have to define excessive.  A qt in 5, a qt in 10, a qt
in 20 hrs??

New engines will throw more oil overboard until the rings seat because
the blow by pressurizes the case.

Hopefully you broke you engine in correctly as in, never idle very long,
taxi to runway at very fast idle, use brakes,  take off as soon as
possible and keep engine at 75% power as long as you can until the cyl
temps come down...  If you idled the engine a lot and did not fly at 75%
power the cyl walls will glaze and it will blow oil for its entire life.

There are other reasons for blow-by. Go to Sacramento Sky Ranch's web
site, they have a gobs of good engein info.  Their book "Sky Ranch
Engineering Manual"  is a must for any Lyc/TCM engine tinkerer...

Scott