REFLECTOR: excessive oil overboard

Joel Smith joels at austin.rr.com
Sat Jun 11 23:32:04 CDT 2005

What is excessive?

How do you operate your normalized 550? I am not to familiar with the
normalized 550.

I have  a TIO-520R. I think it has excessive oil overboard, but to give
you an idea, I occassionly have to add a quart in 25-30 hrs, then I
change it. I have met folks that think this is good. It holds 10 qts, I
fill it to 8 qts and add one if it goes to 7. If I fill to 10 qts, it
seems to blow it overboard quickly. I am able to maintain good CHTs so I
am not to worried about my reserve oil cooling capacity. My oil temp
stays in check. I would not recommend less than the specified amount of
oil if the temps are high.

My operation is as follows:
Take-off, 2700 rpm, manifold pressure 36.5", fuel flow 195-220 pounds
per hour
Climb (100%), 2500 rpm, manifold pressure 30", fuel flow 120 pph
Cruise, 2300 rpm, mp 30", ff  82-85 pph

I realize that normalized that your mp will not exceed 30", 2500/30 is
100% for my engine.

These are some data points that may or may not help. The 550 may be
totally different...

Joel