REFLECTOR: PWM Controller

Joel Smith joels at austin.rr.com
Fri Jun 10 11:19:36 CDT 2005

I was a little surprised to that you might be using an SCR controller to
vary the speed of a DC motor. In my opinion, you have to do some
unreliable things in electronics (none of which are RF quiet) to de-gate
an SCR under a DC load. I would have thought that with today's
technology, a MOSFET would have been utilized. They do not have some of
the bad characteristics of an SCR. They are more reliable and lower on
resistance which results in lower power dissipation.

So I went to the web site suggested and the controller I found did
indeed use MOSFET. If you have a choice, I would recommend the MOSFET
design. It is likely to be noisy since they are using pulse width
modulation via square wave to control the power. While this reduces the
load on the controller, it will produce a lot of high frequency
harmonics in the square wave. It could be that their design is doing a
slow switch on the MOSFET to reduce RF noise. This might be reflected in
the specs by observing a higher dissipation in the controller. If so,
you would want to mount it in a location where it gets reasonable cooling.

The lighting circuit is probably not a problem. If it is, shielding the
controller and a low inductance capacitor across the controller would
probably solve the problem. Higher motor currents may take more work.

You should be able to get an idea via ground testing by turning on your
av radio, antenna connected, unused frequency, and open squelch. Listen
for noise as you vary the controller across the full range.

I am surprised that they would say their controller emit no noise unless
they are linear. The say they are PW controlled.

Joel