REFLECTOR: Gear Door Mystery Solved

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Thu Jun 9 08:02:03 CDT 2005

I'd noticed, over the last several weeks that from time to time, the red gear light indicating the nose gear doors weren't closed, was slow to clear.  On a long trip last weekend, I didn't need the red light to tell me that the doors were open.  An enhanced breeze in the cockpit and a low rumble was ample evidence, though there wasn't much of a speed/drag penalty.  Cycling the gear didn't do anything so I decided to fly it home.  Note: The doors apparently handle 180kts and some turbulence just fine.

Investigation mode was initially hampered a little by the 'I bought it instead of building it' syndrome.  After consulting with Scott Baker and Ronnie Brown, and looking at the installation of the much talked about sequence/diverter valve, which was in a less-than-optimal position, I decided no hydraulic fluid was getting to the nose gear doors cylinder.   Ordered, received and installed the new valve...nadda.

With the diverter valve taken out of the problem solving loop, I looked next at the door cylinder but hadn't heard on the Reflector that it had given much trouble (except for the retainer clip/leaking issue or some such), so I thought I'd give Scott a follow up call.  Scott was in a meeting but Brandon took the call.  We discussed the symptoms and Brandon inquired about the history of the plane (a Prudhomme product).  Brandon wondered if I had a brass regulator on the line from diverter valve to the cylinder, to which I replied "aw, that's what that odd shaped, elongated brass object is."  Brandon suggested I screwing it open a little and see what happens.  Sure enough, the door closed right in sequence and right smartly at that, though with no bang due to the snubbing effect of the small regulator.

Ultimately, my investigation was hampered a LOT by not fully understanding the system and components.  I shall forever be smarter, if not wiser.  There must be a moral of the story in there somewhere and I guess it is 1) know what the heck you're working on, 2) try the simple stupid stuff before we start replacing parts.

With all that said, the mechanically latched doors still seem like the way to go.  When Beta Bob is done testing and proofing everything, I'm jumping on the bandwagon.

Back in the skies.
Chuck