REFLECTOR: Motivation

Andy Millin amillin at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 8 15:47:33 CDT 2005

:)
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Emanuel Lewis
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 4:06 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: Motivation

Just got back from a trip that may help keep builders motivated.  My wife
and I had obligations to visit relatives in Goldsboro and Greensboro NC and
Ft Lauderdale FL over the memorial day week.  I have a standard (pop-top)
velocity with a Lycoming IO-360 engine, performance prop, and fixed gear
that I finished building eight years ago.  Had to make a decision - drive
and buck the memorial weekend traffic or fly.  Not difficult you say?  You
are right.
As an example of the joy of flying, after takeoff from Ft Lauderdale (FXE) I
engaged my Navaid autopilot (coupled to a ten year old Lowrance GPS),
trimmed and climbed hands-off to 9000'.  IFR on V3 to Savannah then direct
to Goldsboro NC (GWW).  With the help of a tail wind component, 626 nm in
four hours from takeoff to touchdown.  After a couple of days in Goldsboro
VFR direct home to Schenectady NY (SCH), 480 miles in 3.4 hours including
weaving around beautiful cumulus buildups.
Believe me, it's worth all the effort.
Manny Lewis