REFLECTOR: Video of NOSE GEAR DOOR DO-HICKEY

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Tue Jun 7 07:29:35 CDT 2005

Dave,

As I'm in the process of changing out my sequencing valve to solve a slow/no door closing (at least I hope it solves it), I must say your design is elegant in its simplicity.  I was wonder if the 'keep the doors closed during turbulence' is a red herring.  First, the hydraulic system already does a good job of keeping the nose gear up and in place.

If the nose wheel is bouncing up/down (do we know this actually happens, at least more than a fraction of an inch?), the clearance between the wheel and the doors is so small, the tire is going to push the door open a little anyhow.  The doors are certainly not going to support the nose gear if it  bounces against it--whether the closing system is the current one or a spring.

Finally, if we look at the mechanical advantage of the travel of the nose wheel v. the travel of the door closing dolly, it looks like the nose gear would need to travel several/many inches down in order for the UHMW roller to move enough for the door to start to open.  By then, the wheel will be pressing against the doors already.

Just a second perspective on it, but unless I'm missing something, it looks like a non-concern.  If I had a concern, it would be that the doors are held open in a very secure manner?

Chuck