REFLECTOR: Speed Brake

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Sun Jun 5 14:06:28 CDT 2005

John,

For one time use from a grass strip, I wouldn't worry about it.  Yes, the Velo, as all pushers, is an excellent vacuum.  My MT prop, after being flown off a high quality FL grass strip, looked like it'd been sandblasted with pebbles.  Easing in the power certainly helps, as does a fender, but there will always be a potential for FOD.  The FL had a base of crushed limestone, so while the grass was generally high quality, there was plenty of FODder for prop-dusting.

So, for non-routine ops from grass, I personally wouldn't worry about the fender--just more weight and complexity.  But then, others may be more particular.

Chuck