REFLECTOR: Video of NOSE GEAR DOOR DO-HICKEY

Tom & Mo Falls thefalls at athenet.net
Sun Jun 5 13:41:36 CDT 2005

Scott B (and others),

First and unequivocally, I am fully on board with the concept that all
designs must be proven/de-bugged with thorough field testing. I'm curious
about a few things though.

1. Why does the retracted nose wheel bounce in turbulence? The hydraulic
fluid in the lines is incompressible and should hold everything firm. Could
this be traced to air in the lines or a leak in the system? Is there enough
G force to compress the shock?

2. If bouncing nose gear can not be eliminated, wouldn't the sequencing
valve in the current design be triggered as much as the mechanical link
systems, in terms of slamming the doors open & closed in turbulence?

My thinking is not intended to challenge current wisdom. I'm interested in
more background so I can determine if design modifications to the mechanical
linkage is needed/possible, or if I should be thinking about going back to
the original set up. I've got time to hear feedback from others and wait
test results. It is a lot easier to access however, with the top half of the
fuselage stored in a corner.

Tom Falls
Should have something looking like an SERG in 2008.