REFLECTOR: Under Cowl Temps

Jim Agnew jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 4 18:34:29 CDT 2005

Ron,

You are reading the surrounding air temperature not the interior temperature of
the Mags.  Remember they are also being heated by conduction from the block.
Sam DaSilva & I both have 4" (about 40-50CFM)cool down fans mounted in the top
section of the engine baffle (down draft cooling) that is also conducting heat
directly from the engine block.  I have a 170F degree snap switch that turns
the fan on until the temps drop to about 150F.  The fan does not go on until
the engine has been turned off for about 2-3 minutes showing the impact of heat
soaking.  The fan runs about 10-15 minutes before the temperatures drop and it
shuts off.

Jim

--- Ron Brown <romott at adelphia.net> wrote:

> Some data points:
>
> I relocated my EIS "spare" Water Temp sensor to the magneto area to get an
> idea of how hot it is there on a Lycoming IO 360 with NACA inlets.
>
> It ran about 155 Degrees with OAT of 62 degrees.  After shut down, it was
> still around 150-155 degrees.
>
> That is a bit surprising in that the outlet from the cowl area runs about 20
> degrees warmer.
>
> My outlet holes for the forward exiting exhausts are about 4" in an attempt
> to get a little cooling air to the front of the engine compartment - seems to
> be working.

James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying