REFLECTOR: Video of NOSE GEAR DOOR DO-HICKEY

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Thu Jun 2 05:07:28 CDT 2005

The system was the brainchild of Brian Gallagher (see www.airmech.com).  We
have observed the installation of this setup with keen interest on Dan
Smalley's aircraft (Dan is building his XL-RG in Sebastian).  I like the
idea of eliminating hoses, cylinders, sequence valves.  We have not had the
opportunity to evaluate this setup in actual practice.  Our only wonder
about this mechanical linkage deals with how the system will work in
turbulence.  The retracted nose gear assembly has a lot of weight and arm.
The hydraulic doors, though they are not designed from the beginning to do
this, help keep the gear tucked inside of the nose compartment when things
start bouncing around.  We are curious to learn, during bumpy ride
situations, if the nose gear will move up and down an inch - and if so, what
will be the affect of the nose gear doors opening and closing (slamming) in
concert with the movement.  Again, we like the idea - and Brian has
graciously invited Velocity to use the design if we wish.
Best regards,
SB