REFLECTOR: Hatch and Seatbelt attachment points

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Thu Jul 21 13:08:45 CDT 2005

Darrell, sounds like your system would work well for attachment of the big
hatch. I don't think the loads are that great and you're using the bolts in
shear.  Just be sure that the front of the hatch attachment can't ever come
up. I recently saw a Velocity that had the whole section (turtle deck?)
above the canard removable. I wondered if in turbulent conditions if it
might stress these attachment points. Again, if it broke off, it would ruin
your day.

I take off my moderate size hatch very often so I'm glad all I have to do is
pull a cable to release it. I wonder if you could use spring loaded pins
with a cable to release it, so you wouldn't have to crawl under the panel?

Al said he was concerned with the seatbelt attachments and I agree with him
that they were troubling. I went to 3/8" aluminum and extra layups over
these hardpoints, but still not sure it's adequate. I wonder if these held
in the crashes of Velocities? That would be the true test.

Chuck H

I am building an XLRG with the fast build fuselage and I did the "really big
hatch" mod.  I want to have the hatch cover secured with no visible hardware
from the outside.  I made a molded flange along the leading edge of the
hatch to hold the front in place.  Now I am going to put 2 or 3 hardpoints
along the aft edge to hold it in place from underneath.  I am going to use
large thumbscrews that I can reach from behind the panel.  I am thinking
1/4-20 will be strong enough but I may use 1/2-13 thumbscrews because they
have a larger head and would be easier to tighten by hand.  I may use fine
thread if I can find a fine thread thumbscrew I like.

Darrell Kufalk